Re: Dired subdirectories & the ls option time-style with the %R sequence

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Dired subdirectories & the ls option time-style with the %R sequence
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 00:21:14 +0700

On Wed, 24 May 2023 at 23:58, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> We sometimes install kludgey solutions if no better ideas are
> available.  Do you have better ideas for fixing this?

I do not have a sufficiently deep understanding of the original
problem removing ‘R’s solves. If it’s intended to build an ‘ls’
invocation with the same switches as used in the buffer but
non-recursive, I’m afraid my idea would be to mimic full-fledged
switches parsing, including the cases of ‘-R’, ‘--recursive’ (remove
the whole switch), bunched single-character switches (remove the R but
stop at the first I, T or w because what follows those is no longer
switches but the argument value to I, T or w), and stopping at the
‘--’. Even that is brittle wrt addition of new short options taking
arguments. Please feel free to disregard.