Re: How to debug a transient (message) bug

From: Jens Schmidt
Subject: Re: How to debug a transient (message) bug
Date: Fri, 26 May 2023 21:05:21 +0200

On 2023-05-26  08:43, Dima Kogan wrote:
> I cannot figure out why, and I don't know how to debug it. I'd like to
> trace some sort of message-transient-buffer-go-away event, but I don't
> know what that is. This is 100% reproducible and 100% annoying, so I'd
> like to fix it. Any debugging suggestions?

Messages go away when other messages are written - probably tramp interferes with the results you expect by overwriting them with empty or temporary text. So a rather cheap (but uncertain) approach would be to trace function `message' with M-x trace-function message RET.

In buffer *trace-output* you should see the call for the message written by M-! and (probably) follow-up calls.

Switch off tracing with M-x untrace-all RET.

(Having said that I do not quite understand why the following example

(defun message-test ()
  (interactive)
  (message "bar")
  (with-temp-message
      (message "foo")))

in emacs/master -Q leaves "foo" in the message area and not "bar", but I'm kind of too lazy to follow up on that.)

HTH