Re: How to debug a transient (message) bug

From: Dima Kogan
Subject: Re: How to debug a transient (message) bug
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 01:04:55 -0700

Jens Schmidt <jschmidt4gnu@vodafonemail.de> writes:

> On 2023-05-26  08:43, Dima Kogan wrote:
>> I cannot figure out why, and I don't know how to debug it. I'd like to
>> trace some sort of message-transient-buffer-go-away event, but I don't
>> know what that is. This is 100% reproducible and 100% annoying, so I'd
>> like to fix it. Any debugging suggestions?
>
> Messages go away when other messages are written - probably tramp interferes
> with the results you expect by overwriting them with empty or temporary text.

Thank you so much for the suggestion! I didn't think of it, and it was
the right guess. There is indeed another (message) call that overwrites
the first. And now that I know this I can see another thing I didn't
think of: simply looking at the *Messages* buffer would show the second
message.

Thanks much