Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 22:05:29 +0000

So if you build a Rust program Foo, its dependencies will cause some libraries to be loaded from crates.io, and their dependencies will cause other libraries to be loaded from crates.io, and so on recursively. Is that right?

That is right.

And if any of those libraries specifies a nonfree dependency, that nonfree code will get compiled into the program Foo -- right?

That is right.

If so, that puts freedom at risk. It means that any time you build a Rust program that you have not thoroughly studied, you don't know whether it will incorporate nonfree software.

Have I made any mistake in this reasoning?

The mistake is that those who care about software freedom can easily check whether a program incorporates non-free code, _without_ thoroughly studying that program.

There are at least two options to do that, which were already mentioned upthread: (1) running "cargo tree -f '{l}'", which will display the license of each of the dependencies of the program, recursively (that option works out of the box), and (2) installing a plugin for cargo, named "cargo deny", which is itself free software, and with which you can check, again recursively, whether all the dependencies of a program are free (more precisely: have a license that is present in the list of licenses you have chosen to allow).

I think we should move this to gnu-prog-disc.

I'm not subscribed to that mailing list, which AFAIK is an internal mailing list with restricted access.