Re: Help ERC find André Riemann

From: F . Jason Park
Subject: Re: Help ERC find André Riemann
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 18:51:59 -0700

Hi Adam,

Adam Porter <adam@alphapapa.net> writes:

> If any of that code would be helpful in reimplementing ERC nickname
> highlighting to solve lack of CA, you're welcome to copy any or all of that
> code and modify it as needed.  It's already in GNU ELPA, so CA is done.  :)

Thanks, that's very kind. We've had a clean rewrite in the works for
some time [1], which could surely benefit from imitating your code as an
exemplar, so I'll definitely have a look.

The main issue here, I think, is that other folks who've contributed to
derivative packages [2] have expressed interest in seeing their efforts
included in whatever becomes of this initiative, and some already have
paperwork pending or in hand. And even though very little, if any, of
André's code remains in such packages, the FSF's counsel was still to
pursue assignment from André.

Anyway, to simplify matters, I was hoping to just include those most
eligible as coauthors on the rewrite, at least in the library's ";;
Author:" header, which allows for recognizing multiple individuals, and
maybe also via GitHub's "Co-authored by" cookies in the commit message.
But, in the spirit of inclusiveness, if folks really want to see their
original code in the VC history, I suppose we ought to at least consider
accommodating them.

J.P.

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=63569

[2] including the author of one popular derivation we were originally
    hoping to subsume:

    https://github.com/leathekd/erc-hl-nicks/issues/15