Re: Is it valid to call isearch-filter-predicate outside isearch?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Is it valid to call isearch-filter-predicate outside isearch?
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 01:10:49 +0200

> > Evidently, that ship sailed a long time ago: "grep isearch-" yields
> > more than 60 hits in replace.el.  And then there are many hits in
> > comint.el, dired-aux.el, info.el, and even in simple.el.
>
> Sure. I have no issue with this. That's why I asked to add a word of
> warning about the state of affairs to the docstring. It is not normal
> that major mode-specific predicates are used elsewhere.

This is not an appropriate description of reality: replace is more or
less a part of isearch, and nearly all of the other hits are of the type
"implement isearch behavior for this mode/ this place" (e.g. for the
minibuffer in "simple.el").

In few other places high-level isearch or query-replace functions are
called directly to start a search or a query-replace.

I found not one place where that predicate is called just because the
semantics seem useful.  In most places only the variable binding is
modified.

Michael.