Re: Is it valid to call isearch-filter-predicate outside isearch?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Is it valid to call isearch-filter-predicate outside isearch?
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 02:40:21 +0200

> Hi,
>
> I am now investigating an Org mode issue related to interaction between
> Org mode folding and isearch.
> https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/CAP7OBx+L11ck3Ni6rv94HGU3otdj6C4rG-rMDzkwR1LTj=BWiw@mail.gmail.com/

The answer to the subject is probably: query-replace is also ok, else
"no".

> Org mode overrides the default value of isearch-filter-predicate with
>
> (defun org-fold-core--isearch-filter-predicate-overlays (beg end)
>   "Return non-nil if text between BEG and END is deemed visible by isearch.
> This function is intended to be used as `isearch-filter-predicate'."
>   (org-fold-core--create-isearch-overlays beg end) ;; trick isearch by
> creating overlays in place of invisible text
>   (isearch-filter-visible beg end))
>
> As you can see, Org produces side effects when the predicate is
> called.

                (if (org-fold-core-get-folding-spec-property spec :isearch-open)
                    (overlay-put o 'isearch-open-invisible #'delete-overlay)
                  (overlay-put o 'isearch-open-invisible #'ignore)
                  (overlay-put o 'isearch-open-invisible-temporary #'ignore))

Can't you bind this to a function that does what you want?  AFAIU it is
called with two arguments - the overlay itself and a bool saying "open"
(nil) or "re-hide" (non-nil).  That should allow to not rely on any
hooks to remove your helper overlays.  Unless, maybe, not all of them
are opened.  Can that happen?

If it does, maybe using `post-command-hook' would be a better choice
than `isearch-end-hook' (which is, obviously, not a good choice)?

Michael.