[NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm

From: Andrew Hyatt
Subject: [NonGNU ELPA] New package: llm
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 19:54:50 -0400

Hi everyone,

I've created a new package called llm, for the purpose of abstracting the interface to various large language model providers.  There are many LLM packages already, but it would be wasteful for all of them to try to be compatible with a range of LLM providers API (local LLMs such as Llama 2, API providers such as Open AI and Google Cloud's Vertex).  This package attempts to solve this problem by defining generic functions which can then be implemented by different LLM providers.  I have started with just two: Open AI and Vertex.  Llama 2 would be a next choice, but I don't yet have it working on my system.  In addition, I'm starting with just two core functionality: chat and embeddings.  Extending to async is probably something that I will do next.

You can see the code at https://github.com/ahyatt/llm.

I prefer that this is NonGNU, because I suspect people would like to contribute interfaces to different LLM, and not all of them will have FSF papers.

Your thoughts would be appreciated, thank you!