Re: Clojure mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Clojure mode
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 21:35:08 -0400

  > > What those people think should not be a crucial issue, because writing
  > > a major mode to handle a language is not a big job.  We have dozens of
  > > them in Emacs.  Lots of us here would be able to replace it.

  > I would really not recommend increasing user confusion around which is
  > the recommended major mode, and which one is not.

That argument is too vague to support any particular conclusion.

If we install a command called clojure-mode in the core Emacs, that
will in a sense be the preferred one.  If you type M-x clojure-mode in
Emacs, that is the one you'll get.

We could avoid confusion with the NonGNU ELPA package by renaming
that one.  Asking to load it using its new name would make it clear
that that's the package you want.

  > That affects many third-party packages, as well as configuration
  > snippets floating around the web.

Sorry, I don't follow you.  Would you please spell out what you mean?