Re: Clojure mode

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Clojure mode
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2023 07:26:30 +0000

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> > FWIW, my ideal scenario looks like this:
>> >
>> > "You seem to have opened a Clojure file.  Would you like to install
>> > clojure-mode (yes/no/help)?"
>> >
>> > When the user types "yes RET", the package gets installed, loaded in
>> > the running session, and enabled in the relevant buffer.
>>
>> This seems invasive, especially if the database has false-positives for
>> a user.
>
> With false positives it would suck, of course.  On the other hand,
> perhaps adding a "don't ask me again" would make it more tolerable.
>
>> If anything, I think this kind of behaviour sound be opt-in.
>
> One idea would be to make the less-invasive "message in minibuffer"
> variant the default, and the more-invasive "in your face prompt"
> variant opt-in.

So we are thinking about a user-option like `package-autosuggest' that
would have the values

- always :: always prompt the user when a more specific package is
  available
- once (or t) :: ask the user once per session, when a more specific
  package is available
- message :: only print a message if a more specific package is
  available
- nil :: do not look for more specific packages at all