Re: package-autosuggest

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: package-autosuggest
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 08:50:44 -0400

> Would you argue it would be better to implement this feature outside of
> package.el?

That too, but it's less important.  I think he dependency on ELPA (and
`package.el`) should be limited to:

- Providing an option to install the package via `package-install` (tho
  it would be good to make it configurable so people can also use other
  options like `package-vc-install`).

- Potentially populate the `package-autosuggest-database` via a script
  that extracts the info from `elpa.git` or `elpa.gnu.org` or some such.

> And by function we mean something like the major mode of a
> package, right?

How to test whether a given package is already available is not always
the same, so `package-installed-p` can sometimes come in handy, but in
the present case of packages providing (major) modes, then testing
`fboundp` on the major mode function is a better option: it's faster
and it gives the right answer also when the package was installed via
some other means than `package.el`.

        Stefan