Re: Treesit Regression In ec4d29c4494f32acf0ff7c5632a1d951d957f084

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Treesit Regression In ec4d29c4494f32acf0ff7c5632a1d951d957f084
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 18:15:59 -0700

> On Sep 9, 2023, at 12:26 PM, Danny Freeman <danny@dfreeman.email> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I believe I have found a regression in the treesit package introduced by
> commit ec4d29c4494f32acf0ff7c5632a1d951d957f084
>
> I noticed that indentation does not work properly on Emacs master branch
> in clojure-ts-mode. After doing a git bisect on Emacs source code I
> landed on the above commit.
>

> To reproduce, I build emacs with ec4d29c44 [0][1] and load up
> clojure-ts-mode from the current main branch (commit 58f3c835 [2]).
>
> I open up a new file, say test.clj, and run `M-x clojure-ts-mode`.
>
> In that file I can paste the following contents
>
> (defn foo [] 1)
>
> The buffer should have the following tree structure, which can be seen
> with M-x treesit-explore-mode <RET> clojure <RET>
>
> (source
> (list_lit close: (
>  (sym_lit name: (sym_name))
>  (sym_lit (sym_name))
>  (vec_lit [ ])
>  (num_lit) )))
>
> If I place my cursor directly before the 1 character like so, where | is
> my cursor
>
> (defn foo [] |1)
>
> and then press <RET>, I would expect the following indentation
>
> (defn foo []
>  |1)
>
> Instead I get
>
> (defn foo []
> |1)
>
> and if `treesit--indent-verbose` is set to `t` then I see these messages
> in *Messages*
>
>  Matched rule: ((parent-is "source") parent-bol 0)
>  PARENT is nil, not indenting
>
> Before this change I would see
>
>  Matched rule: ((parent-is "source") parent-bol 0)
>  Matched rule: (clojure-ts--match-expression-in-body parent 2)
>
> While my cursor is before the 1 character, running
>
> M-x eval-expression <RET> (treesit-node-parent (treesit-node-at (point)))
>
> will return nil. Before this change, it would return the parent list_lit
> node as I would expect.
>

> Please let me know if you have any question, or if there is something I
> can do to make this easier to test. I see the commit the git bisect
> pointed me to contains changes to the C code for treesit. I do not know
> C well enough to know why this breaks, unfortunately. I can only say
> something is not quite right.
>
> [0] - the configure flags I use to build emacs
> https://git.sr.ht/~dannyfreeman/emacs/tree/ba4a5f3678bf83a28ce382fc33611e0d7aed2a86/item/flake.nix#L63-81
> [1] - The init file I use
> https://git.sr.ht/~dannyfreeman/emacs/tree/main/item/init/init.el
> [2] - clojure-ts-mode version used to reproduce this error:
> https://github.com/clojure-emacs/clojure-ts-mode/commit/58f3c835aeafe0378ab9693731b95096827dbb24
>
> Thank you,
> --
> Danny Freeman

Hmmm, I can’t reproduce this. I’m getting

Matched rule: ((parent-is "source") parent-bol 0)
Matched rule: (clojure-ts--match-expression-in-body parent 2)

The commit you pointed to does change treesit-node-parent, so it does match
with parent-is matcher not working.

Might be because I recently upgraded to a newer tree-sitter library. If you
compile with the newest tree-sitter build (from their repo), do you still see
this problem?

Yuan