Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 20:43:01 -0400

The cl libraries of Emacs Lisp define functions that are not standard
parts of Emacs Lisp.  They are not documented in the Emacs Lisp
Reference Manual -- for good reason (we don't want to write that
documentation or have a commitment to maintain ever after later).  As
a consequence, code which uses those constructs is extra work to
understand and to maintain.

Therefore, it is better to avoid using them, when that is possible.
Especially in important or central parts of Emacs.

If you want to use them in your own private code, that's no problem
for anyone else -- do what you feel like, there.  Using them in a
not-terribly-vital package that you maintain and some others use is
not a big drawback.  However, using them in code others need to
maintain makes maintaining Emacs harder.

I do not say "impossible", but it is worth avoiding.