Re: [External] : Re: Shrinking the C core

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 21:52:19 +0100

On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 8:52 PM Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com> wrote:

> It has everything to do with the lack of the KEY argument
> and the KEY argument could as well be &optional instead of &key.

Yes, it could, but should it?  I think not, because consistency.
You think yes, because whatever, so let's just disagree.

> If you find lack of the key argument "much not easier", you can define
> your own sort, something like:

The point with having good library functions is that the user doesn't
need to define her ad-hoc versions.

> One can see that autodoc for cl-sort is severely crippled.

That's a problem with autodoc and cl-sort's definition, not its protocol.
Functions defined with cl-func are much better and autodoc functionality
for SLIME/SLY is spot on and detects the correct argument.  This is
no technical hurdle.

João