Re: Emacs design and architecture (was: Shrinking the C core)

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture (was: Shrinking the C core)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 23:19:03 +0200

> Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2023 at 8:52 AM
> From: "Lynn Winebarger" <owinebar@gmail.com>
> To: "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture (was: Shrinking the C core)
>
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 9:01 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > > From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
> > > Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 07:31:35 -0400
> > > Cc: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>, incal@dataswamp.org, emacs-devel
> > > <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> > >
> > >  If Emacs will ever be "rewritten", it will not be Emacs, but a
> > >  text-processing system with a very different architecture and design,
> > >  which will take from the Emacs experience the lessons we learned and
> > >  implement them differently, to produce a system whose starting point
> > >  is closer to the needs of today's users and whose main technologies
> > >  are more modern from the get-go.

One thing that needs rewriting is texinfo to use the latest functionalities
that are provided by the LaTeX3 Project (https://www.latex-project.org/latex3/)

Today we continue to be restricted by what the TeX Core Engine can do.
We are continuing to work with the pre-1983 version before Leslie Lamport
developed LaTeX, a higher-level markup language built on top of TeX.