Re: Emacs design and architecture

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 08:30:09 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
>> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 16:52:15 -0400
>> Cc: rms@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> I think I was more interested in why you said it would be a
>> "text-processing system" rather than an editor or even IDE
>
> Emacs is more than an editor and an IDE.  Gnus (and other MUAs we have
> in Emacs) is neither, and neither is Org or ERC or any number of other
> Emacs features.
>
>> >   . display engine design around the rectangular canvas model and
>
>> I don't know what the alternative is, exactly.
>
> Finding that out is part of the job.  It's quite likely (I hope) that
> the relevant technology already exists, and we don't need to invent
> it.

Right.

This makes me think immediately of browser technology.  We all probably
know what can be done in web layouts, I guess.  As an example that it
can be used for an editor, take a look at the Monaco editor, which is
used in VSCode:

  https://github.com/microsoft/monaco-editor

(I'm not saying that should be done, or even that it could be done, or
anything :-)).