Re: Emacs design and architecture

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 06:19:20 -0400

  > because standards
  > are so open the user is free to choose which browser to use.

That assertion would be true, supposing that Emacs communicates with
the browser using only standard protocols and some free browser
supports them.  I don't think that is what people are proposing though.

But if people implemented that method with standard protocols, the
problem I bring up would happen anyway.  If most users were to
communicate with Emacs using Chrome, which is non-free,
Emacs would become an incomplere editor that people usually
complete using a nonfree program.

That would be a terrible setback for the GNU Project and the
free software movement.  Any gains in convenience would be
a side issue compared with that.