Re: Generic Elisp mechanism to declare file/URI handlers for Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Generic Elisp mechanism to declare file/URI handlers for Emacs
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:26:52 +0000

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> For example, consider that we have built-in clojure-mode at some point.
>> Then, it will make sense to tell OS that Emacs is able to open .clj
>> files. Same for any other new major mode.
>>
>> Not every major mode author knows the specific ways how Emacs implements
>> file type handling in different OSes.
>
> Emacs opens all text documents, and Clojure files are a kind of text
> file.

AFAIK, this is not the case. At least, for .desktop file on Linux.
Emacs opens all text/plain documents, but not all text/* documents.
In addition Emacs opens

text/english;text/x-makefile;text/x-c++hdr;text/x-c++src;
text/x-chdr;text/x-csrc;text/x-java;text/x-moc;
text/x-pascal;text/x-tcl;text/x-tex;application/x-shellscript;text/x-c;text/x-c++;

which is a closed list. If we have something like, for example,
text/markdown, it will not be open by Emacs without explicit declaration
in the .desktop file.

> And be that as it may, operating systems use different names to
> designate each kind of text file, so expecting major mode authors to
> understand every one of those names is unreasonable anyway.

I thought that mimetypes is the common standard:
https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml
If not, it is indeed a problem.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,