Should Emacs declare itself as being able to open all the text/* mimetyp

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Should Emacs declare itself as being able to open all the text/* mimetypes? (was: Generic Elisp mechanism to declare file/URI handlers for Emacs)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:17:40 +0000

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

>> text/english;text/x-makefile;text/x-c++hdr;text/x-c++src;
>> text/x-chdr;text/x-csrc;text/x-java;text/x-moc;
>> text/x-pascal;text/x-tcl;text/x-tex;application/x-shellscript;text/x-c;text/x-c++;
>>
>> which is a closed list. If we have something like, for example,
>> text/markdown, it will not be open by Emacs without explicit declaration
>> in the .desktop file.
>
> Then maybe that should be fixed, because under Android, Emacs opens all
> text/* files.  (Given that Emacs is usually the sole functioning text
> editor when installed on Android systems.)

I am not sure if it is possible to use wildcards like this.

Nothing is said in the spec:
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/0.9.5/ar01s07.html

On the other hand, wildcards seems to work:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/232525/mimetype-desktop-entry-for-all-image-files

So, your suggestion sounds reasonable.

>> I thought that mimetypes is the common standard:
>> https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/media-types.xhtml
>> If not, it is indeed a problem.
>
> Does the IANA standard encompass Clojure files?

Nope. It was just an example. Clojure files do not have a dedicated
mimetype:

$ xdg-mime query filetype ./project.clj
text/plain

Other source code files might though. For example,

$ xdg-mime query filetype src/js.rs
text/rust

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,