Re: [External] : Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 14:19:48 +0100

On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 2:16 PM João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 29, 2023 at 2:11 PM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> wrote:
> >
> > > "C-x C-q" in an "occur" buffer still leaves some non-useful key
> > > bindings around, like for "DEL". To usefully edit an "occur" buffer
> > > you need to run `occur-edit-mode', bound to "e" by default. We could
> > > fix that wart if we wanted to.
> >
> > We should "merge" `C-x C-q` and `e`, indeed, like we do for Dired.
>
> Yes, and isn't a buffer-local value for read-only-mode-hook the
> suitable way to fix that?

For context, I'm asking because I don't think rebinding `C-x C-q`
to a different command (like in the case of Dired) is as good
as using the existing hook.  It should be much more consistent
to use the standard facilities of the existing minor mode.

Likewise, I don't think having "-read-only" or "-edit" variations
of each major mode is a good idea.  We can activate and deactivate
keymaps on the fly right?

João