Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding refactoring capabilities to Emacs
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2023 14:10:14 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 23:31:18 +0700
> Cc: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>, joaotavora@gmail.com,
> philipk@posteo.net,
>       monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, eliz@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Tue, 26 Sept 2023 at 23:04, Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> wrote:
>
> > If we could do something for consistency for terminal users (e.g. render
> > xpms with pseudographics or somesuch), we should.
>
> Could do better than that. Could display actual graphics using the
> protocol implemented in several terminal emulators.
>
> https://sw.kovidgoyal.net/kitty/graphics-protocol/

Incorporating this into Emacs should be possible, but would need a
thorough surgery of the TTY part of the display engine, which
currently assumes that each "display element" on TTY frames is one
"pixel" wide and 1 "pixel" high.

(It is also not clear to me from a cursory reading of the spec how to
figure out how many text lines and text columns will a given image
need to be displayed unclipped.  This is important for the layout to
work correctly.  Since Emacs generally doesn't know the pixel
resolution of the terminal screen, it cannot easily compute that, and
probably needs some help from the terminal emulator/driver, but I saw
no commands for such a query.  I probably missed something.)