Re: Completion of links to man pages

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Completion of links to man pages
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 10:40:10 +0700

From: Ihor Radchenko
Do you mean that woman.el will be obsoleted?

AFAIU, it already is, de-facto.  Unless someone steps forward and
volunteers to develop woman.el so as to add all the many missing
features that Groff has added during the last years, woman.el will
continue to bitrot.

It seems, I was not the only person who had an impression that `woman' is the Emacs way to read man pages. I have no idea concerning its origin, perhaps some pages and comments I had seen on the net.

I have realized that namely `man' is recommended:
(info "(emacs) Man Page")
Note that M-x woman doesn’t yet support the latest features of modern
man pages, so we recommend using M-x man if that is available on your
system.

Absence of an active hyperlink to WoMan manual at
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Man-Page.html
might be considered as a means to discourage its usage.