Re: How to debug emacs repaint problems?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: How to debug emacs repaint problems?
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 09:02:00 +0800

joakim@verona.se writes:

> If so, it appears to me that my build of emacs redraws a lot of regions
> unecessarily. So the my question is if its possible to make Emacs show
> some hints of which areas its redrawing. Then I would know if the
> problem is in emacs, or elsewhere.
>
> The emacs 28 in my distro doesnt flicker, nor does apps such as gedit.

This is consequent upon double buffering.  Being incapable of recording
individual damage to window back buffers, the X server uniformly damages
the whole front buffer whenever buffers are swapped.

Should flicker be preferable to slow redisplay, disabling double
buffering is the correct solution.  But if not, use an X connection in
place of VNC, enabling the transfer of only drawing commands.