Re: How to debug emacs repaint problems?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: How to debug emacs repaint problems?
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 13:02:15 +0200

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> joakim@verona.se writes:
>
>> If so, it appears to me that my build of emacs redraws a lot of regions
>> unecessarily. So the my question is if its possible to make Emacs show
>> some hints of which areas its redrawing. Then I would know if the
>> problem is in emacs, or elsewhere.
>>
>> The emacs 28 in my distro doesnt flicker, nor does apps such as gedit.
>
> This is consequent upon double buffering.  Being incapable of recording
> individual damage to window back buffers, the X server uniformly damages
> the whole front buffer whenever buffers are swapped.
>
> Should flicker be preferable to slow redisplay, disabling double
> buffering is the correct solution.  But if not, use an X connection in
> place of VNC, enabling the transfer of only drawing commands.

Thanks, how can I try disabling double buffering?

There is another solution called "x2go", which I also use, it compresses
X traffic, and achieves low latency and high fidelity, especially for
something like Emacs.

So I usually wind up running Turbovnc for high bandwidth graphical
applications, Mosh for tty applications, and X2go for apps that work
well with compressed X.

Emacs is remarkable in that I can run a connection to the same Emacs
instance in all 3 of these terminals.

--
Joakim Verona
joakim@verona.se