Re: [ELPA] New package: dape

From: Daniel Pettersson
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: dape
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 23:54:24 +0200

On Sat, Oct 14, 2023 at 4:54 PM Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:

> I have tried to try it out right now, but because I've never used DAP
> before, I am not sure how to get it running properly.  Nevertheless, I
> think it would be useful to have something along these lines:

Did you get working?

> +      (customize-variable 'dape-configs)

Implemented

> Another interesting idea to pursue might be to have modular UIs.
> Instead of splitting up the current Emacs frame, I think a minimalist,
> more edebug-like interface would be nice, where variable values could be
> displayed using overlays instead of having a separate buffer.

Nice suggestion. I did try to implement a more minimalist interface with
variable overlays.

Which can be enabled with the following.
(setq dape-inline-variables t)
(setq dape-on-start-hooks nil)

Second screenshot in the README.org, it's more inline with edebug. But
there is some issues with placement and variable lookup. The current
implementation relies on regex and font lock to search for symbols.
If that work could be offloaded to Eglot/lsp-mode via xref (*I don't
know if lsp support it). But currently that is not possible because
Eglot only supports looking up reference at point.

> Note that you don't need to add Compat just for `defvar-keymap', as you
> could also just use the traditional method of defining a keymap instead:

Fixed.

> It just doesn't say that much, and I don't know if it is intended, but
> the usual way I would read/pronounce it (rhyming with cape) wouldn't
> immediately signal any relation to DAP.  Note that you can use (elisp)
> Shorthands to avoid writing out a longer name inside the file, in case a
> longer name like debuger-adapter.  It seems there is no package by the
> name of "dbg"?  If we are not interested in a self-descriptive and
> memorable name, and would want to create a parallel to Eglot (IIRC Emacs
> polyGLOT), perhaps something like based on "Emacs Debugger" (Egger?
> Ebugger?  Edebugger?) might be possible as well.

"dbg" is nice and sweet, but I think it's a + for discoverability to have
dap in the name of the package. How about eldap? If it should signify
a connection to Eglot, maybe Ebug or even closer Dpoly? Or maybe a
reference to Grace Hopper, hopper.
Personally I like eldap, probably because it feels familiar.