Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Lisp files that load cl-lib in problematical ways
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 13:32:43 +0200

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> How many contributors are actually familiar with the bulk of
> cl-lib? I suspect, very few indeed. Maybe Stefan M.
> The people who have written strongly in favour of cl-lib
> over the last week or two have not been those who spend lots
> of time maintaining others' code.
>
> I further suspect that many contributions using cl-lib are
> from people who know a small part of cl-lib, find the
> functionality intriguing, and thus use it. The trouble is,
> each such contributor knows a different part of it, so in
> aggregate the part that an Emacs maintainer needs to know
> (or continually to look up) is large.

It is the nature of innovation. People like to be at the
front. They like to try out exotic new gear. And the people at
the rear understand this - even if it means they have to build
new facilities to accomodate for the new stuff once in
a while.

If we tell people at the front to stick with the old ways, the
old gear, they will simply leave our section for something
more interesting to do. And we won't get anywhere.

> Note that Common Lisp never took off as a popular language.
> There must be reasons for this.

Maintaining it is too difficult?

--
underground experts united