Re: Native compilation on as default?

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: Native compilation on as default?
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:41:32 +0200

Hi Emanuel, Colin, emacs developers,
* Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> [2023-10-26; 16:22 +02]:
> Colin Baxter wrote:
>> Well, I do have libjccjit-6-dev on a machine running Debian
>> 9.13. This is the machine on which I did try native
>> compilation. As I said, I could see zero change in
>> performance of my emacs (30.0.50). There's also libjccjit-8
>> on another machine of mine running Debian 10.13.
>
> Strange you do not experience it being faster, maybe a more
> recent Debian could be the explanation. I just upgraded my
> stable Debian and am now on Debian 12.2, so 9.13 and 10.13 are
> quite old, on the other hand we have the same GNU Emacs
> 30.0.50 so it can't be that :)
>
> libgccjit-12-dev
>
> gcc (Debian 12.2.0-14) 12.2.0
>
> So maybe one should aim for the twelve then.

I started using native compilation with Debian 11 /
libgccjit-8-dev and the effect was just notable to me.

But since I upgraded to Debian 12 / libgccjit-12-dev
Emacs feels much more snappy, also starts faster.  Even
the compilation process is faster than under Debian 11.

Thanks, Andrea.

Ciao; Gregor