Re: Native compilation on as default?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native compilation on as default?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:44:35 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: eliz@gnu.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 22:27:09 -0400
>
> Building Emacs with native compilation is a lot more fragile
> than without.

I don't think I understand what you mean by "fragile".  It is slower,
but otherwise is stable and reliable.

> Meanwhile, many users don't need it because Emacs is fast enough for
> us without it.

If you don't have libgccjit installed, the default build will not
enable native compilation.  As libgccjit is an optional part of GCC
installation, people who don't care about native compilation should
not be bothered by this default (if we decide to make it the default).

> Theefore, we should not enable native compilation by default.

If the above is the only problem, I see no reason to reject the
proposal based on it alone, since the solution is easy and in most
cases effortless.  On the contrary, people who do want native
compilation should invest some effort into installing libgccjit that
matches their GCC version.