Re: Inline completion preview

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Inline completion preview
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 13:01:12 +0000

On Mon, Oct 30, 2023 at 12:42 PM Alexander Adolf
<alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> wrote:

> João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 4:25 PM Alexander Adolf
> > <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Company provides an ecosystem of its own, and that can make one’s setup
> >> more complicated.
> >
> > I agree it provides more abstractions then are essential, but you don't
> > have to use them.  Eglot-managed buffers prefer the company-capf backend
> > by default and it works fine just fine.
> >
> > So the "complicated setup" you're looking for might just be one line:
> >
> >    (setq company-backends '(company-capf))
>
> Indeed. But the complexity I was intending to refer to came with
> integrating company with other 3rd party packages. Because of comapny's
> age (it predates some of Emacs's current completion infrastructure),
> many 3rd party packages have specific company adaptation code. As
> packages and Emacs evolve, an adaptation or two tend to break with each
> update. This kept my company config growing and growing.

But you don't _have_ to use that integrations and third party packages,
do you?  You used it because you wanted to.

As far as I understand if you replaced all your complicated
setup with that one line I gave you, Company works with exactly
the same things Corfu does (CAPF completion backends, acronym for
completion-at-point-functions).

We should not compare apples to oranges and make decisions
based on that.

João