Re: Inline completion preview

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Inline completion preview
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 23:29:17 +0000

On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 4:25 PM Alexander Adolf
<alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> wrote:

> Company provides an ecosystem of its own, and that can make one’s setup more
> complicated.

I agree it provides more abstractions then are essential, but you don't
have to use them.  Eglot-managed buffers prefer the company-capf backend
by default and it works fine just fine.

So the "complicated setup" you're looking for might just be one line:

   (setq company-backends '(company-capf))

> I have moved to corfu, which fully builds on Emacs’s ecosystem, and
> have never looked back.

company-capf is perfectly compatible with Emacs's completion functions
as well.

Corfu has known problems with Eglot, for example.  As far I understand,
the way to fix them (presumably) is based on an additional thing
called "cape" which works by monkey patching Eglot's functions via
advice, which I don't think is really elegant.

Also company works on TTY Emacs out of the box, and I think Corfu
doesn't.  More stuff to add in.

So, as I see it, with Company you get hassle free completion by
customizing a way a bit of its functionality, whereas with Corfu you
have to add stuff to your .emacs.  As I see it, it's really Corfu
that has the most complicated setup.

João