Re: Systematizing back navigation

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Systematizing back navigation
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 14:35:26 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I think you are over-engineering this.  That a key has different
> bindings in different major modes is nothing new in Emacs.  Moreover,
> smartphone apps are also inconsistent in what the Back button does in
> each situation.
>
> So I don't see why we need to worry about this, let alone pretend
> there's some deep internal issue here.  Perhaps you bumped into some
> specific situation, and then tried to generalize it too much.  In that
> case, I suggest to describe the original issue, not its
> generalizations.

I did describe three specific scenarios that I come across frequently:
Info, Help and Gnus Article buffers.  Besides those, there are also
pop-ups displayed by the likes of VC,
dired-mouse-find-file-other-window, and virtually every other caller of
display-buffer.  With these, I'd rather Back dismissed the new window
altogether than switch to whatever window previous-buffer selects.