Re: Systematizing back navigation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Systematizing back navigation
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 08:57:52 +0200

On November 21, 2023 8:35:26 AM GMT+02:00, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Perhaps you bumped into some
> > specific situation, and then tried to generalize it too much.  In that
> > case, I suggest to describe the original issue, not its
> > generalizations.
>
> I did describe three specific scenarios that I come across frequently:
> Info, Help and Gnus Article buffers.  Besides those, there are also
> pop-ups displayed by the likes of VC,
> dired-mouse-find-file-other-window, and virtually every other caller of
> display-buffer.  With these, I'd rather Back dismissed the new window
> altogether than switch to whatever window previous-buffer selects.

IMO, it is entirely reasonable to have Back bound to a command that "goes back"
where that makes sense.

Dismissing a window with Back is basically a smartphone thing, so we could bind
Back to the function bound to ESC or C-g, but only on Android; doing that on
other platforms would be inconsistent with the general behavior of those
platforms, and should be avoided, IMO.