Where to contribute manual translations ? (Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 2

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Where to contribute manual translations ? (Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 238, Issue 29)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 00:24:21 +0000

> On Dec 29, 2023, at 2:00, emacs-devel-request@gnu.org wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 21:14:06 +0000
> From: Vincent Belaïche <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr>
> To: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Subject: Where to contribute manual translations ?
>

> Hello,
>
> Where is the right place to contribute a translation to French of the SES
> manual ?
> Is it there : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/emacsdoc-fr
> French GNU Emacs manual - Summary
> [Savannah]<https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/emacsdoc-fr>
> Savannah is a central point for development, distribution and maintenance of
> free software, both GNU and non-GNU.
> savannah.nongnu.org

There have been many attempts at translating the manuals.

One was organized by traduc.org. I ended up "in charge" of it.

I moved the project to chapril / sr.ht a few years ago to easily include
translators. The translation evolves slowly by it is also used for technical
translation master student internships.

https://forge.chapril.org/brandelune/documentation_emacs/

The sources are hosted on sr.ht.

https://git.sr.ht/~brandelune/emacs_documentation_repository

> Another question : how to internationalize docstrings ? IMHO it would be
> great if the docstring could have some info manual anchor in it, and one
> could display it from the currently selected language manual. Besides,
> reading docstring from manual via some anchor is basically what Calc does
> with some kitchen tricks.

Eli answered that.

> Message: 17
> Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 07:32:08 -0800
> From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
> To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Vincent Belaïche
>       <vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Where to contribute manual translations ?
>
> It's also perhaps somewhat overblown given that we only expect to have a
> very small number of translated manuals for the foreseeable future.[1]

[...]
> Footnotes:
> [1]  I'm not aware of anyone else working on translating our manuals.

French is slowly ongoing. I seem to remember that Japanese has a book version
but it's getting old.

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @jchelary@emacs.ch
https://traductaire-libre.org