Re: Code snippets/template consolidation and potential improvements

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Code snippets/template consolidation and potential improvements
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 23:58:15 +0000

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 4:40 PM Martin Marshall <law@martinmarshall.com> wrote:

> > It's now a repo in github.com/joaotavora/snippet
>
> This looks amazing--as does all of your work that I've seen.

I'm very flattered, but here you should mostly think Stefan Monnier
who pitched the original idea and the "dynamic snippet" syntax,
as well as coaching me circa 2015 through the macrology-laden
implementation (which could probably see a tweak or twenty).

Anyway, I don't think the package is production-ready yet.
It's missing some notable and advanced features of the Yasnippet
engine some of which I'd have to get reacquainted with.  Notably
Yasnippet's undo capability is still missing.

I don't use Yasnippet much :-) except for one single trivial
snippet that inserts the date&name in comments.  And sometimes
via LSP (because LSP issues snippets in the original Textmate syntax
and Yasnippet groks that).

Anyway, if someone could write (failing) tests for those features
I would probably be motivated to implement them.

João