RE: [External] : Re: Code for cond*

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Code for cond*
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:35:37 +0000

> > I also noticed that "Backquote-Style Patterns: Backquote Patterns.”
> > is quite deep in the pcase doc structure, coming just after  “Extending
> > ‘pcase’: Extending pcase.  Define new kinds of patterns.”.  Yet most
> > pcase examples I come across in the wild use backquote patterns.
> > I don’t know if that’s an intentional arrangement, or was put in place
> > before people had experience with pcase and voted with their key-taps
> > for backquote style.
>
> I think it's a mistake due to the docs being
> written by people too familiar with the
> implementation (where core Pcase does not include
> backquote patterns).  I'd welcome a patch which
> corrects this, indeed.

That's what I guessed too, in my doc suggestion
that was roundly dismissed:

  It's as if someone only tried to explain away
  some of what is particularly confusing about
  `pcase', instead of teaching the strengths of
  `pcase'.

  Looks like doc written after a user complained
  that some previous `pcase' doc didn't explain
  some complicated aspects, so an attempt was
  made to do only that, skipping the basics.

  I don't claim that's really how we got the doc
  we got.  I'm just saying it smells like that.

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=68029#13