Re: [ELPA] New package: activities

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: activities
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:24:48 -0600

On 1/29/24 18:08, Chris Van Dusen wrote:

PS: I personally feel that by the time a package author presents a well-written
and fairly complete package for inclusion into ELPA, it is too late to make the
argument that they should have instead contributed that functionality to a
built-in package.  If you can convince them earlier in the process, of course,
but it certainly adds to the outside impression that ELPA is a gauntlet that
must be run, which I think all agree is not desired.

I’m not sure I follow. Most of the time package authors don’t ssy anything
until they want to publish the package, so how can the maintainers suggest to
them to contribute to  an existing package?

An alternative would be for potential package authors to post to emacs-devel,
stating that they would like to see feature foo in package bar.  If it turns
out that it is not feasible to implement the feature, then sure, a new package
can be created.

Please don't forget the possibility that the author has already considered and rejected the idea to modify an existing library. I reached this decision over 3 years ago, before I started working on burly.el, which has led me to finally develop activities.el. Sometimes it is best to start with a fresh perspective, rather than trying to shoehorn ideas into an existing framework.