Re: Message Mode and bidi

From: Christopher Culver
Subject: Re: Message Mode and bidi
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 22:29:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> I cannot reproduce this.  What I see is that Message mode supports
> bidirectional text as expected, including what you describe in the
> previous paragraph regarding right-aligning the RTL text.  So please
> tell more what you did by describing in detail the commands you typed.

I have tried this with a completely virgin Emacs installation, but
Message Mode continues to show less than full support for bidi text. The
steps were as follows:

* Move .emacs.d directory and .gnus.el[c] files to some other location.

* Launch Emacs.

* M-x gnus

* Gnus will pop up an error about unconfigured nntp support, but ignore.

* Press a in order to begin composing a new email in Message Mode.

* Move the cursor down to the message-body section, switch input method
  to farsi-translit-banan, and begin typing. The text does not
  automatically align to the right side of the window, nor does the
  cursor appear correctly to the left of the text being
  entered. (However, I do get full bidi support in a new .txt file
  created in text-mode.)

I am using Emacs 29.1 as packaged by Debian Stable Backports
(stable-bpo) on Wayland, so presumably the pure-gtk UI.

Because email is a special case, with decades-old standards, I thought I
should ask the devs if this phenomenon represented a deliberate choice
on the part of the Emacs devs. If this is indeed a bug, then please let
me know whether it should be reported to Debian as the packager, or if
it is something to be resolved by the Emacs devs themselves.