Re: Should native compilation be enabled by default?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Should native compilation be enabled by default?
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2024 21:29:54 -0500

  > This is true, but the slowdown is IME insignificant on a reasonably
  > modern system.

Could you explain what "reasonably modern" refer to OS releases, to CPUs, or
what?

The only CPUs we can morally recommend to people are the ones before
the hardware backdoors became impossible to disable completely.  They
are around 15 years old.  Does installing a current GNU/Linux distro
release on one of those computers add up to a "reasonably modern system"?

  > I disagree, based on my experience.  I see a significant speedup when
  > using Rmail for just reading email, something that I cannot
  > characterize as "power use" of Emacs.

Could you tell me more about this experience?  Which operations become
faster?  How big is your Rmail file?  How many messages are in it?

  > And there are other significant speed advantages.

Would you please tell me more?