Re: Should native compilation be enabled by default?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Should native compilation be enabled by default?
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 18:37:54 +0200

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 08:03:31 -0800
> Cc: raman@google.com,
>     rms@gnu.org,
>     emacs-devel@gnu.org
>

> First I am hearing of that ar, glad it is there.

So now you could try using that instead of disabling native
compilation globally.

> So for the average user, who adds things to that list? Some examples
> in the docs -- especially illustrating  how to use it to "fix broken
> packages" might improve things.

What do you mean?  That variable is a user option, documented as
follows:

    "List of regexps to exclude matching files from deferred native compilation.
  Files whose names match any regexp are excluded from native compilation."

So it is a list of regular expressions intended for _users_ to
customize; the default is nil.  The regular expressions should match
the file names which you don't want Emacs to natively compile.  I
think this is simple and clear enough to not require any elaborate
examples.  The reasons why the user would like to avoid compiling some
files are beside the point -- it could be because the files are broken
and unmaintained, but it could also be for any number of other
reasons.