Re: I created a faster JSON parser

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: I created a faster JSON parser
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 19:49:04 +0100

15 mars 2024 kl. 14.35 skrev Herman, Géza <geza.herman@gmail.com>:

> I implemented this idea, here is the latest version (now, object_workspace is
> a Lisp_Object):

That's considerably slower than before, especially for small inputs, so it's
probably a no-go.

I definitely want to make Gerd's efforts no harder than necessary but really
don't think we should do pay the cost up-front like this. If required for a
better GC then fine, but let's do that work in the branch for that effort
instead of incurring overhead in Emacs now.

> Is there anything that need to be done?

It's probably a good idea to open a bug for this task, since it provides a
better and more focussed record of the discussion, with a single bug number.

Here are some remaining tasks:

2. Don't allocate any temporary storage before you know that it's actually
necessary.
3. Stop using the object_workspace when not required, which is everywhere
except possibly when reading arrays into Lisp vectors.
4. Write a JSON serialiser.