Re: Emacs-30 performances

From: Mattias Engdegård
Subject: Re: Emacs-30 performances
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2024 11:33:44 +0200

15 juni 2024 kl. 07.32 skrev Thierry Volpiatto <thievol@posteo.net>:

> My setup is not involved here, you only have to install psession.el and
> run (benchmark-run 1 (psession--dump-object-to-file-save-alist)) after
> adding some variables to psession-object-to-save-alist.

Some variables? Which ones, exactly? And containing what?

To make progress we need a bit more precision. As a starting point I'm
attaching the benchmark that I used but it's pure guesswork on my side. It
shows a 1.3× speedup between Emacs 29.3 and master, which is nice but not quite
your reported 16× improvement. This is with byte-compilation only, no native
compilation.
Run it with

  emacs -Q -batch -f package-initialise -l psession-bench.elc

If you are unhappy with this benchmark, please propose an amendment that
reproduces the effect you observed and that we can run, and which does not
depend on your personal Emacs settings.