Re: Emacs-30 performances

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Emacs-30 performances
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 05:25:43 +0000

Hello Mattias, sorry for late reply.

Mattias Engdegård <mattias.engdegard@gmail.com> writes:

> To make progress we need a bit more precision. As a starting point I'm
> attaching the benchmark that I used but it's pure guesswork on my
> side. It shows a 1.3× speedup between Emacs 29.3 and master,

Yes same here.

> which is nice but not quite your reported 16× improvement.

I think what make such a big difference is when saving hash-tables
instead of simple lists.

With:

(defvar my-big-list (make-hash-table :test 'equal))

(let ((i 0))
  (while (< i 10000)
    (puthash i (format "This is %d" i) my-big-list)
    (setq i (1+ i))))

(setq psession-object-to-save-alist '((my-big-list . "my-big-list.el")))

;; emacs-29: "0.758 s elapsed, 0 GCs, 0.000 s in GC, 0.758 s non-GC"
;; emacs-30: "0.016 s elapsed, 0 GCs, 0.000 s in GC, 0.016 s non-GC"

> This is with byte-compilation only, no native compilation.  Run it
> with
>
>   emacs -Q -batch -f package-initialise -l psession-bench.elc
                                       ^(z)

> If you are unhappy with this benchmark, please propose an amendment
> that reproduces the effect you observed and that we can run, and which
> does not depend on your personal Emacs settings.

I will try to come up with a version saving (larges) hash tables as soon as
possible.

Thanks.

--
Thierry