emacs-erc

Re: Add compat to ERC

From: J.P.
Subject: Re: Add compat to ERC
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 13:32:36 -0700

>> Well, tested it in the lazy/naive sense of
>>
>> 1. connected to various servers in the manner shown above
>
> Using what version of Emacs?

27, 28, and master. Although, with the latter, compat likely wasn't in
`load-path'. Is it better to guard against requiring it on trunk?

>> 2. installed a fake ELPA package and ran our test suite, which also
>>    contains some shims for obscure stuff, like gv-place, ert, etc.
>
> What do you mean by fake ELPA package?

I mean something installed via package.el, in this case directly from a
directory with `package-install-file'. Doing so pulled in compat just
fine. But if that's too unrealistic, I suppose I could add the necessary
changes (temporarily) to a bug set I make available here:

  https://emacs-erc.gitlab.io/bugs/archive/

Also, the "shims" I mentioned were just test-specific snippets not
dissimilar to these: https://ttm.sh/eOF

> I have just pushed a commit with a definition for decoded-time-period,
> so that will be part of the next release.

Terrific! Thanks. So we'll just specify that version in our
Package-Requires header, and everything should magically work, right?

As far as next steps go (assuming you don't have anything showstopping
to add), I figure pinging the Emacs maintainers couldn't hurt, just to
make sure they're cool with our `require'ing something from GNU ELPA in
tree. But I'll wait to hear back from you before doing so. Thanks again.