emacs-humanities

Re: [emacs-humanities] Citations in org-mode

From: Greg Bognar
Subject: Re: [emacs-humanities] Citations in org-mode
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 00:47:27 +0100

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!  I've learned a lot from the responses.

1. Joe's suggestion put me on the right track.  I knew about pandoc's citeproc,
but I didn't realize you can use its markdown-style citations in org files.
I've tested it and it works well.

However, in order to use the particular style I had in mind (full citation in a
footnote), I would need to find a .csl file to use.  I've looked at the
suggested link [1], but there are many and no descriptions of what they do; the
closest I found was `chicago-note-bibliography-with-ibid.csl'.  But it does not
print the full citation (only author and title) and generates a list of
references after the main body.

Any suggestions?  Basically, what I'm looking for is analogous to Biblatex's
\footcite or \fullcite commands, with the ability to suppress the creation of a
separate list of references.  (This sort of system is standard in trade books
and can be found in some humanities books.)

2. Several people suggested org-ref.  I had looked at it before, but it seemed
to be geared towards LaTeX, seemed complicated to set up, and `list-packages'
tells me

Requires: dash-2.11.0, htmlize-1.51, helm-1.5.5, helm-bibtex-2.0.0, ivy-0.8.0,
hydra-0.13.2, key-chord-0, s-1.10.0, f-0.18.0, pdf-tools-0.7,
bibtex-completion-0

That is a lot of dependencies for what I'd use it for, especially that I'm not
yet sold on ivy or helm (no offense; maybe I'll change my mind when I have time
to look into them more carefully).  I'd rather install only packages that I will
use.  And the website says that org-ref-reftex is not developed anymore -- which
is a bummer, since people coming from AUCTeX will already be familiar with it.

Thanks again to everyone!

All the best,
Greg

[1]: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles