Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Org Minor Mode?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 16:38:27 +0200

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Bastien,

> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So maybe I should stop insisting on an org-minor-mode, because outshine
>> and outorg together already do the trick?
>
> Indeed!  (Do you have a screencast demonstrating this?  It's all a bit
> abstract when put in words.)

Not yet, but outshine users know that they can use many of the same
speed commands on outshine headers like on org headers. I'll see if I
can upload something to youtube.

>> I just thought it would be better, faster and more powerfull if Org's
>> regexps would be more abstract and Org functions could act directly in
>> the programming mode buffers.
>
> I'm surely getting old, but "better is the ennemy of good".
>
> If we already have something that fills the needs for org-minor-mode,
> then let's advertize this more and spare the work involved by making
> things faster... (do you really need to make outshine+outorg faster?)

My motivation for an org-minor-mode came from situations where I wanted
some feature for outshine, like e.g. the :archive: tag (that keeps
subtrees permanently folded and would be very useful for hiding
commentary subtrees in programming mode files) or visibility cycling for
other elements than headlines, and I figured that it was all there in
Org-mode, but I would have to reimplement it on top of the outline.el
backend.

After this discussion it seems that reimplementing things is still the
better (and maybe the only viable) option. So lets close this thread,
and I focus on improving outshine/outorg so that they become (not by
name, but by functiionality) a kind of Org minor-mode.

Thanks for your time and input!

--
cheers,
Thorsten