Re: PROPOSAL: Bind `org-fold-hide-subtree' by default in Org Mode.

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Bind `org-fold-hide-subtree' by default in Org Mode.
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 18:26:04 +0700

On 25/02/2023 07:13, Karl Fogel wrote:
Okay, today I did some research and found that every "C-c C-<letter>" binding is used in Org Mode except for "C-c C-g". While that one is technically reserved for the mode's use

No, there is an explicit exception for C-g, see (info "(elisp) Key Binding Conventions") in "Tips and Conventions" appendix.
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Key-Binding-Conventions.html

(It's not clear to me whether Emacs's conventions consider "C-c C-i" to be a letter or whether they treat "C-i" as "TAB" and consider it special; based on the previous evidence in this thread, maybe the latter, so we shouldn't consider "C-c C-i" to be available.)

It might be a problem to distinguish C-i and <tab> in text terminal. Issues with "C-c C-," raised on this list
- (info "(emacs) Named ASCII Chars")

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Named-ASCII-Chars.html
- (info "(elisp) Function Keys")

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Function-Keys.html
A similar issue exists with C-S-letter
- (info "(emacs) Modifier Keys")

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Modifier-Keys.html
- (info "(elisp) Other Char Bits")

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Other-Char-Bits.html

I think what this is telling me is that Org Mode keybinding real estate is quite valuable :-),

Even C-c C-x prefix is quite busy. Other modifiers might be a rescue: C-c M-something.

However perhaps M-x with fuzzy completion allowing typos (and ideally synonyms) might be a better solution.

Are you saying that the only current default binding for C-<tab>=20
in Emacs is that one in tab-bar.el, and therefore we should feel=20
free to rebind it in Org Mode?

No, [Ctrl+Tab] and [Ctrl+Shift+Tab] is widely used in other applications to switch to next/previous tabs. I would strongly prefer to keep it consistent across as much applications as possible. (There are corner cases like e.g. vim with multiple tabs running in a terminal application having several tabs as well. E.g. gnome terminal is able to pass [Ctrl+PgDn], a [Ctrl+Tab] alternative, while it has single tab, but intercepts the same shortcut when more terminal tabs are opened, so vim keys have to be used.)