[emacs-wiki-discuss] RE: bug report: emacs-wiki.el -- recognizing extend

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] RE: bug report: emacs-wiki.el -- recognizing extended links
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:07:10 -0500

I started researching the "spaces in links" issue when I loaded
planner-bookmark.el, by Dryice Liu.

First, the [:space:] construct works only in v21 of Emacs, according to
the eLisp manual.  Here's an excerpt from the node "Special Characters
in Regular Expressions":

     Starting in Emacs 21, a character alternative can also specify
     named character classes (*note Char Classes::.).  This is a POSIX
     feature whose syntax is `[:CLASS:]'....

Second, there is no Planner / Emacs-wiki documentation that thoroughly
describes the syntax of [[some_URL][some text].  This should be given
its own node accessible from the top node of PlannerInfo.  The issue of
whether spaces can be used should be mentioned, as well as instruction
on how to *properly* change that behavior.  Valid protocol options can
be mentioned as well:  bbdb://, bookmark://, irc://, lisp://, etc, with
links to their respective nodes.

Third, given the second point, it doesn't matter whether the Planner
Maintainer makes "spaces in links" the default because the user can
customize the behavior.  FWIW, my preference is to allow spaces in
links.  Windows users have ridiculously long path names (with spaces in
them) to such important directories as "desktop" and "my documents".
How do I refer to them?  And I'm surprised to witness the "protect the
user from him/herself" mentality that led to the banning of spaces from
links.  That's what ` emacs-wiki-markup-nonexistent-link' is for.

Fourth, I wish I *could* customize this.  But for some reason, when I
modify emacs-wiki-extended-link-regexp, I cannot get the behavior to
change.  :(  As well, Sacha's suggestion from March 24 didn't help.  But
I've got more important things to worry about, having procrastinated
many too tasks already.  :)

All the best!

--
Raymond Zeitler <address@hidden>