Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] problem with emacs config

From: Vadim Nasardinov
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] problem with emacs config
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 17:46:45 -0500

On Saturday 12 March 2005 11:44, Rino Mardo wrote:
> i've been hitting a wall here but i can't get past this error:
>
> invalid character: 012667, 5559, 0x15b7
>
> everytime i try to create my ~/.emacs file with this:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/sacha-stable/emacs-wiki/")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/sacha-stable/planner/")
> (require 'planner)
>
> if i remove the ~/.emacs i don't get that error message.

Can you tell us a little more about your environment?  For
example, what's the output of

 $ env | grep -E '(LC_|LANG)'

All I can say at this point is that 5559 *is* an invalid character.
To see for yourself, try evaluating
  (char-to-string 5559)

But that's neither here nor there.

In the meantime, you can try the following.

Remove the above three lines from your ~/.emacs file and replace them
with

(add-hook 'after-init-hook
          (lambda () (setq debug-on-error t)))

If your emacs starts up fine with this change, copy and paste the
original three lines into a blank *scratch* buffer and eval them by
typing, say,

  M-x eval-buffer

If it's one of these three lines that's giving you the "invalid
character" error, then evaling the *scratch* buffer should result in a
stack trace.  Post it.