Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: gantt charts

From: Dryice Liu
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: gantt charts
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:02:50 +0800

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dryice Liu <address@hidden> writes:
>> a gantt chart, we need to know the task dependencies, and to define
>> task dependency, we need to find some way to refer to a task, which we
>> don't have for now. Anyone have a better idea?
> We have task IDs. If you want simple schedule visualization, you can
> try adding duration (2d, etc.) to tasks, and then use the start date
> to come up with some kind of ordering. Etask's support for showing
> task dependencies and whatnot is more sophisticated, though.

Thanks! I just checked out planner-id.el and it's much powerful than I
thought :)

Looks the grep based planner-id-search-id have some room for
improvement, and here is some of my casual ideas:

See in the planner-id-tracking-file, except for the ID schema and the
current id, we can also record in which plan file an ID is used, and
get something like this:

(("Tasks" 465 ((1 ("PlannerHack" "2005.3.18"))
               (2 ("ProjectA" "DocFix" "2005.3.19")))))

So we can locate an ID without a grep.

And once we have this, we can introduce an URL schema to reference an
ID, say "id://Tasks/PlannerHack/1" which will link to the task with
task id 1 on the PlannerHack page, or just "id://Tasks/2" to show a
list of plan pages where task id 2 is used (kind of like
planner-id-follow-id-at-point we have now) or just jump to, say, the
day page or the first page in the list.

And we can utilize this in planner-create-note-from-task so the note
can link back to the task.

And if we have this, supporting task dependency is one step away: just
add another {{ }} thing in the task description. The task description
is getting too loooooong, though :)

Another benefit of having task dependency, except for visualization,
is that, say, if task A depends on task B, I'll want task B show up
first, even they have the same priority and rank.

What do you think?

--
Dryice @ http://dryice.3322.org

See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/sylvester-response.html