[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner on multiple computers

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner on multiple computers
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:55:18 +0800

Hello, Mark!

By the way, check out our mailing list at
address@hidden
you prefer to use Gmane (a mailing list->NNTP/blog gateway), check out
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.wiki.general . Great place for ideas!

> Have read about Planner.el on a number of different web sites. Looks
> like it would make a great tool to replace MS Outlook. I've always found
> Outlook cumbersome when quickly trying to make a note about something I
> need to do, in the Getting Things Done context.

Great!

If you search our mailing list archives for "GTD", you'll find
quite a lot of tips on setting up Planner to support with GTD-style
planning. Here are some quick tips:

- Bind M-x planner-create-task-from-buffer to a convenient shortcut key.

- Set up remember-planner.el according to the source code
  instructions, and bind M-x remember to a convenient shortcut key.
  Use this to take notes.

- You can use M-x planner-create-note-from-task to create a note
  associated with a particular task.

Have you tried Emacs before? If not, we can also help you become more
comfortable with it. =) Feel free to ask for help.

> Hoping you could give some advice on implementing Emacs/Planner in my
> situation. I regularly use a Windows PC and an OS X Mac at work. Same
> thing at home. I'm transitioning away from the Windows machines so
> hopefully soon, will be on a Mac at work and a Mac at home. Any
> suggestions for the most efficient setup to be able to use common
> planner files in both locations? I typically do my daily planning in the
> morning before I head to work. Most of my task and note entry takes
> place during the day on my work machine.

Hmmm. I'd suggest simply keeping your planner files on a USB key or
even a floppy disk. You can customize the planner-directory variable
to look in the right place. A number of other people here synchronize
through web servers and version control servers, too. Handy stuff.
You can use http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-wiki-discuss/
to search for "sync" to find out how other people do the trick. =)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Planner!
--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed